Friday, October 08, 2004

Confessions of a Minesweeper Addict

In the 60s and 70s, there were wonderful British softcore movies to keep dad entertained during industrial strikes, with enthralling titles like Confessions of a Window Cleaner or Confessions of a Bus Driver. The basic purpose of these films was to make it difficult for a man to cross his legs for a while, and, although they may seem very basic to today's sophisticated viewer, their social function shouldn't be denied.

Now for my own confession. I have spent the last week neglecting just about every aspect of my daily life, work, cooking, communicating, etc... and the reason why?

I had become addicted to the PC game Minesweeper

In particular, to the task of successfully completing the expert level of this demonic game, where you must locate, without a single mistake, the position of 99 tiny mines... After a full week of playing this game for up to eight or nine hours a day, finally, the gods showed mercy upon my eternal soul, and granted me a Total Victory! Below is a screen grab, as proof, if proof were needed.



This morning I woke feeling refreshed, happy to be free to resume the course of my usual activities, such as they are. Unfortunately, the logic of Minesweeper had taken root during the night, and I continually find myself imagining the clearance of complex patterns of mines... I've suffered similarly after playing Tetris

As another committed gamer notes,

"After playing I shut my eyes and see the blocks falling down. They fall down in the street, they fall down everywhere. "

How much was the temporary obsession with Minesweeper a direct reaction to my experience of meeting three Irish women from the internet?

What will come next? Tetris fever? Rubik's Cube Mania?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Heil Portugal said...

Olá idiota de merda.

I've just said:
Hello you stupid asshole!

You took a whole week to do only that level in 276 seconds??? - and above all you played like 8 to 9 hours a day???

It's ridiculous.
Only an AMERICAN can do that.

Greetings from OLD CONTINENT.

asshole

7:26 AM  
Blogger kingfelix said...

i'm from England, idiot, but thanks for the thought.

i am just trying to remember all the amazing things that portugal has given the world... hmmm, can't seem to think of anything

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home