Thursday, January 27, 2005

Fighting the Duke of Gloucester part 3

So, it has ended, the fight is over.

This leaves only the small matter of handing out the gongs, the baubles, the medallions that commemorate conflict. After some reflection, I have decided to present myself and all those who laughed at my fight with the Duke of Gloucester with the following award:

May we wear it with pride

And, of course, I couldn't forget that special someone who made this all such great fun. So, I have sent Bryan Lunn his very own award, along with my heartfelt thanks.

Subject: Bryan, thanks for being such good fun

Bryan,

Last message, I promise, but I wanted to present you with an honorary award from my organisation (newly created) to thank you for the witty reply you sent concerning the Duke. it has found its way on to the internet and you have amused a lot of people. perhaps you've missed out on a second career as a comedy writer.

anyway, it gives me great pleasure to award you this medal from The Institute of Advanced Armchair Motorists. Wear it with pride.

thanks,

Jason

Update! I received this reply from Bryan that wraps up this trilogy in fine style.

Jason,

Okay, you got me !! You caught me at a bad time on a very bad day. But, I did work it out from the second email and as I said in response to that one, "If you can't take it - don't dish it out" (remember that mate, your turn will come !!)

I've got a good sense of humour and can see the funny side of your "prank" at my expense. So, thanks for brightening up a bad day; the world needs a bit of cheering up and your site helps to do that.

Thanks also for the 'medal'. I'll print it out (in colour) and, instead of sending a letter to people who write to me in the same vein as you did (they do, but they are for real !!), I'll just send them a 'medal' picture !!

On the question of the Duke; I'm not an ardent royalist but I've met the DofG a number of times and he's quite an amiable and well meaning chap. And unlike some royals, he does earn his living (he's an architect). You may not know, but when the story of him having his licence removed hit the papers here in the UK, they gave it the headline "The Duke of Hazard" (or are you too young to remember that TV programme ?)

Good luck with site and your career as a comedy man.

Best wishes and thanks.

Bryan.


PS the guy who owns the 'orange car' is also a very nice chap; he does a lot of work for charity.

7 Comments:

Blogger Claypot said...

Seriously? I can have this award? Top Effort!

12:13 AM  
Blogger bhikka said...

Fantastic!

5:56 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

An excellent ending. Bryan has turned out to be a fine fellow.

"The Duke of Hazard" ... good one!

9:34 AM  
Blogger KarbonKountyMoos said...

This was great!

10:45 AM  
Blogger HF said...

Truly fantastic stuff! I do remember the ridiculous orange car from my time in Totnes. "The Dukes of Hazard" I had to translate into German recently as I work subtitling films. I wish the orange car would feature in it. It is so bad! A special on the DVD feautes all the old actors (completely second rate) raving about how good the series is supposed to be. Mind you- black people are badies, women have big tits and the most daring driver has moral superiority! Who would want to buy the complete series? In Germany it is completely unknown anyway. Hope it stays that way...

4:07 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Your just too cool for words!
xx

6:35 PM  
Blogger kingfelix said...

Heiko, i am going to reply to Bryan and acknowledge our Totnes connections to the Orange car and how it chimes in beautifully with the ancient tradition of rolling oranges down Fore Street and the High Street.

And the Dukes of Hazzard, it's so perfect to call him that! I think there's a film coming out of it. I loved it as a kid, Roscoe P Coltrane, J D Hogg, Daisy Duke, it was essential in the same way as The A-Team and Knight Rider. i would love to hear a German voiceover of "This is Rosssssss-co-eeee Peeeeeeee Col-Trane... an' um een hot pur-suuuuuit!"

I will thank the people who grabbed the award I put up and displayed it proudly on their own blogs.

The only question is? Where do I go from here. I've got a DUKE of Gloucester-sized hole in my life that nothing can fill...

send your ideas - pinhut@gmail.com

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home