Saturday, March 12, 2005

And you wonder why I came to America?

I have enjoyed this week. It's been Spring Break from Law School for Hannah, a chance to be together. Below is a little list of the small things that have made life good this week, that have made me glad I came to America:

- catfish and fries at the Half Shell
- the arrival and installation of a Tivo box. this allows you to pause and rewind Live TV, perfect for talking over plot details and clues while watching CSI
- Michael Jackson appearing in court in his pyjamas. i would've enjoyed this spectacle wherever in the universe i was, but watching it live here on Court TV was a joyful thing
- working on my writing. inventing an Ireland that is a mix of memory and fantasy is proving a fun game. it would still be good if Ian D. answered my query on the names of the bones in the human foot, though (come on, Ian!)
- the books that have arrived for me from ebay. this week there has been such good stuff as Storming Heaven: LSD and the American Dream, and Cities of the Red Night. i am still waiting for my used Amazon book on the Japanese practice of chindogu, "tools that exist at the edge of reason"

Here is an example of Chindogu, the backscratcher T-Shirt, with its 'itch-locator grid'. The person scratching can say, "I'm scratching F5 and you can say, 'Hmm, try F7'"


15 Comments:

Blogger anan said...

oh, i like THAT! (does it come in a gown, too?)

what tool would YOU invent, 'on the edge of reason'??

2:30 PM  
Blogger L said...

I love chindogu! there's even a website, you know....

ta ta! time to go out!

8:34 PM  
Blogger kingfelix said...

I know there's a website, i linked to one of them, if you know a better one, post it here, please.

in answer to what i would invent, i was thinking about a device that simply detected when it was switched on, by emitting a very quiet hum. you could then switch it off. actually, maybe it wouldn't even need to provide any sign it was on/off, or you could buy a further device, the "is my useless device switched on" detector

9:03 PM  
Blogger anan said...

would that come with a remote? (and a device to indicate whether the remote was on?)

Bookmarked the chinogu site. it's very 'chuto lampo' (a little bit of this, a little bit of that)

btw, looking over the menu you provided, i think i'd like to try the half-shell po-boys. Do they do take-out to the pacific northwest?

And if they do, do you suppose i'm obliged to give the delivery boy a tip?

10:49 AM  
Blogger kingfelix said...

not sure the catfish will taste that great by the time it arrives

and not worth coming all this way for.

they do great ribs at rendezvous though :) my dad came 4000 miles and i think they were the highlight of his trip

5:22 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

Sorry for the delay. In case you haven't checked your email yet, the toes are called "phalanges," being named in order the "first phalanx, second phalanx, third..." etc. That's the best I can do as far as esoteric medical jargon referring to the toes.

6:26 PM  
Blogger kingfelix said...

Ian. thanks for that. i've heard phalanges from the autopsies on CSI. i should ask you, do you enjoy that show, or perhaps it makes you cringe if there are loads of mistakes, or maybe you have a little love/hate thing going on.

for my own benefit, i find it quite diverting, and enjoy the way William Petersen kind of cocks his neck to indicate that he is fixating on something important.

i'm off to twiddle my phalanges

6:35 PM  
Blogger Ian said...

Alas, I've never seen CSI. My TV watching consists of plopping on the couch and being sloppily slapped in the face with whatever wet inanity my girlfriend happens to be watching at the time. It's usually something like The Starlet or America's Next Top Model. And yet I call myself a man -- do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself...

12:31 AM  
Blogger anan said...

... i think metacarpals are in there, as well, or so my toddler tells me.

catfish? i don't eat biological engineering, sorry.

and i wonder if ian would like to switch tvs? We currently offer fare like Poo-Bahs and Barney, blech-a-roo!

is is just me, or is everything on tv just so fake?

Question: if you were to host a chindogo quiz show, what would it look like?

3:14 AM  
Blogger Ian said...

Yes, there are metacarpals too, but they are in the hands. Metatarsals can be found in the feet, connecting the phalanges to the tarsal bones.

11:51 AM  
Blogger kingfelix said...

And all this name of toe stuff was for a section of jokes concerning a misguided writer who composes a masterpiece based around the toes he's lost to frostbite.

Now he will get to wave goodbye to each phalanx.

11:58 AM  
Blogger anan said...

... my tarsals stand duly corrected.

1:08 PM  
Blogger KarbonKountyMoos said...

With a gamy leg?

2:44 AM  
Blogger anan said...

Mr. Pinhut - would that masterpiece be called 'My Foot Left', by any chance?

4:04 AM  
Blogger kingfelix said...

No, it's called Heartsong for Missing Toes, and he certainly doesn't use them to paint or write anything.

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home