Sunday, March 20, 2005

There are some people out there...

... and they know who they are.

They are Trivia/Goof geeks, and I am going to give them a public talking-to now.

Now, people, I have mentioned it before, but I like to watch CSI. Now, CSI, for those who don't know, is an acronym of Crime Scene Investigation. Basically, some science bods and detectives investigate crimes using all their fancy methods and catch or fail to catch the people responsible. It's a well-written show, with decent performances from the cast. Fine.

Everything's fine.

Now, I went and looked up an episode guide for CSI, as they are showing about 30 shows this week on one of the channels. And there was the geek stuff. I know, I know, it was my own fault for voyaging into fandom, but one "goof" that was constantly pointed out regarding the show really annoyed me.

And it was - People moaning that the actor's playing corpses could be observed "blinking", or "moving very slightly" or "their chest goes up and down, just like they're breathing..."

What are the makers of the show supposed to do to satisfy these "goof spotters"??? It's bad enough, as an actor, being asked to play someone who has been thrown off an office block, or someone who has been stuck in a deep freeze for a month, without the producer's asking if it's okay to "just stop your heart for a few minutes, for the sake of realism".

Or maybe they should just use real dead bodies. People could include it in their wills or suicide notes. "The greater part of my estate shall go to X and Y, but I would really like my body to be used in CSI, in any manner they see fit, depending upon the nature of my death, and not extending to facial disfigurement or the hacking off of limbs..."

Okay, I'm calm again now. I'm relaxed. I'm sure it's going to be a wonderful week.

3 Comments:

Blogger L said...

I remember reading an interview once that discussed how tricky it can be for an actor to play a corpse... especially in long shots where the corpse is mostly naked and it's chilly... I'll take my desk job, thank you.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

This is only slightly related. I actually watched CSI for the first time last week, when stranded in an airport. Imagine my surprise to see a show where the alleged murderer had the same last name as mine.

He was played by one of the Baldwin brothers, too. Even worse! But luckily he turned out to not be, but just another drug-dealing, wife-beating, latte-sipping scumbag.

10:47 AM  
Blogger kingfelix said...

This sounds more like a Twilight Zone script idea, Jim. As the CSI investigators proceed, suddenly their attention switches to the airport lounge. Just an hour after starting to watch, they burst in and arrest you. As they drag you away, you scream at people sat around, "This isn't REAL! This is Television..."

I suppose this method will be used to hunt down enemies of the state at some point, reality TV disguised as drama

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home