Thursday, April 07, 2005

Book Thing

This post is in response to an invitation from Jim at Meat of the Matter

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book would you want to be?

A book of matches.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

No.

The last book you bought is:

Look at the Harlequins, by Vladimir Nabokov. I've been buying on ebay. The last book to actually arrive here was Jack Black, You Can't Win, biography of a criminal of the late 1800s.

The last book you read: I read a few at a time. Last novel I finished is A walk on the Wild Side, Nelson Algren, one of the best five novels I've read.

What are you currently reading?

Like I say, I read a few books at a time. Presently, two by James Purdy, Moe's Villa, Malcolm. The Herbert Huncke Reader (this is brilliant), and my copy of the American Mercury.

Five books you would take on a desert island:

Firstly, I'm not sure I'd take any books. I mean, why? I'd rather have a solar-powered stereo and some Gram Parsons CDs.

Ideally, I'd be happy to sit there with a full encyclopaedia, I think Wikipedia.org forms the start of each writing day in terms of inspiration. Okay, I'll choose five and they would all be novels.

My favourite novel is William S Burroughs, The Ticket that Exploded.
My other choices would be ->
Master and Margarita, Mikhail Bulgakov
Ada, Vladimir Nabokov
The Crystal World, J G Ballard
A Walk on the Wild Side, Nelson Algren

I'm not going to worry myself with saying why, other than the blindingly obvious, that I feel them to be works of quality and distinction.

What book are you ashamed to admit that you haven't read?

All the books written in languages other than English that have yet to be translated, wish I was a linguist.

I am not going to pass this meme on, as that's not my style. Anyone who wants to take it forward themselves, and is motivated to do so by this blog post, then, okay, good luck.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Well done, sir. I will now have to check out "The Ticket that Exploded."

Have you read Harry Mulisch's "The Discovery of Heaven"?

10:10 AM  
Blogger kingfelix said...

jim, i haven't read it, i wonder what it's about.

also, ticket that exploded is fairly incomprehensible, you'll look at it and think, "hmmm, yeah, that's just what EU would like, a book as frazzled as himself"

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home