Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Five things that mean a lot to me part three

People - that's what means a lot to me, that's item #3 on the list of things. Human contact. Meaningful human contact. Because, of course, People also carry many minus points. One of the worst hours of 2004 was fighting through the incredible shopping crowds in Dublin, with Leo. We were so tired of waiting in line to buy things that we shoplifted most of our Christmas purchases purely to save time.

So, that's one downside of people, that they can move in a mass way and form crowds. Some crowds are okay, though, I remember dancing away at trance and techno nights with up to 2000 other people, back in 1995, in Birmingham, and it certainly wouldn't have been the same without that Weight of Number. I remember a Hallowe'en (Samhain) where I took LSD and dancd all night at Spacehopper with people in alien costumes, pirate outfits, fright masks, UV paint on their faces, colored contact lenses, flashing lights in their teeth, a whole range of silly adornments. And the energy, the positive energy of being alive and belonging in a certain place. That was a good crowd, an unpretentious, vital, positive section of the people of Birmingham, an industrial city of England, coming together once a month to go wild and crazy.

Then there is the simple human contact of people being around. Like in Dublin, I didn't know lots of people, but I always felt fine going to places on my own, not worrying, you're never really made to feel isolated or marginalised in Ireland, people are not turf-crazy and as tribal as in England, where a different accent can be the cue for some aggressive treatment from the barely evolved locals. I would go out and watch the soccer matches on plasma screens, big beautiful crystal clear plasma screens, supping on a perfect Guinness and enjoying just having relaxed people around and being free and in charge of my destiny, even if my destiny was simply to defraud the Irish government, the British tax system, and live in a small room and eat salads. There was my first really powerful blast of freedom.

Then there is people - friends, people who have detached themselves from the mass of seething humanity and acquired Names, Histories, the whole shebang. And I miss them, too. I miss Tom, Leo, Alasdair, Patrick, Holly, Scarlett, Andrew, Jenny, Sean, Heiko, Clive, Alice, Martin, Simon, I miss them all.

Now my friends are far away. I have love, I am married, but I don't have freedom in America and I suppose it's guaranteed to be driving me crazy. The prisoners in Guantanamo Bay have a wider social circle than myself, than I have had since December. I've adopted the cast of CSI:Las Vegas as surrogate friends, for gossip I have Court TV and the Michael Jackson trial, for laughs, King of the Hill.

So, people, with certain qualifications, are one of the Five things that mean a lot to me

7 Comments:

Blogger L said...

I suppose your social circle includes those of us in the blogosphere? Mine does :)

Too many dreadfully dull people around here...

6:25 PM  
Blogger kingfelix said...

Yes, but you're all vapors. i need to be somewhere with living breathing people who might be interested in knowing me or something

6:33 PM  
Blogger kingfelix said...

you're all silent and made of words!

6:34 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I have to agree people are up there on the order of importance. As spring has finally come to these northern parts, I am watching the swans arrive and the ducks arrive in my backyard. They are all at least in pairs; closer to summer there will be groups of 5-10 to them. Why do people have such trouble finding groups after the age of 27? My life seems to go through phases where I belong to a group and then there times there in no group. I have choosen to stay where most of my family is; most of my close friends have moved away. I have made a few new close friends but not the circle I once enjoyed except on our rare reunions every couple of years.

On a lighter note, I need to spend more time at Starbucks, it seems that is the place to hang out anyhwere in America. Then comes the next hard thing, getting past hello.

6:40 PM  
Blogger kingfelix said...

Well, it's tough for me. I can't drive with much confidence on the US roads, and my wife is studying so hard, I feel like life in the U.S. has barely started. Plus, all my long-standing friends happen to be on a different continent.

I've felt a little brighter by the end of today, I'll try smiling again tomorrow.

At least I've finished hunting for a life partner and I have a fully functioning body and a full head of hair.

12:02 AM  
Blogger The Kernow Cowboy said...

When we hit our early 30's we are too old to party and too young for bingo.

Being 30+ seems to be about the fading dreams of our youth and the exciting possiblities of the future.

And its nice to share that with people. People that you love and that love you.

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home