Thursday, April 14, 2005

The Hunt for Killer Monkeys

Last night was spent in deep concentration, going through ebay listings. I'm searching for something that has a powerful resonance for me, a single image that has haunted me since I first sighted it a few years ago. I was living in England at the time, and one Sunday I went to a car boot sale at a racecourse (for readers not familiar with car boot sales, people turn up in a field and load stuff out of their cars onto tables and sell it).

On this day, I picked up a pile of old men's magazines, what I'd guess would be called "pulp" magazines, with titles like Men, For Men Only, and Real (I would take my time machine back to 1950 and launch Unreal). The covers were all lurid drawings of tense wartime scenes, usually involving a hero under pressure, some Nazis, and some damsels awaiting rescue (oftentimes in bikinis).

Anyway, the cover that made such an impression on me, and which, goddammit, I've managed to misplace, featured a hero on a beach, fighting off an angry horde of killer monkeys! It looked a little like these choice examples, below (courtesy of ebay trader, topnotch13) - please note the detail of the turtle biting the man's right ear!



These are superb examples of the desperate scenarios that seem to motivate me, but they are not MY Killer Monkeys. The search continues...

(The "Weasels ripped my flesh" album by Frank Zappa was named after this magazine)

*

I discovered that someone found my blog via a Google Search for "Baboon's Bum" today, guess I'm really starting to connect with my target audience.

4 Comments:

Blogger g said...

I went looking for the killer monkeys at a Norm Eastman collection, but only found bikers, Nazis, and scantily clad women in dire straits. There was a title that involved a gorilla, but it was sold and the image was gone. Best of luck on your quest for the killer monkeys.

7:45 AM  
Blogger g said...

Killer monkeys?

7:54 AM  
Blogger kingfelix said...

G, thanks for both of those links. You have indeed found some killer monkeys, but they are sadly not the one's I'm looking for.

There's something less tense about 3 men dying together, I mean, these guys could feasibly even shake hands or confess their love for one another while being bitten to, ahem, bits.

My guy is all alone, maybe the only survivor of a sunken ship. He cheats death, or so he thinks, only then to suffer a fate worse than death, as the first flying killer monkey launches itself at him...

uh, i better stop, i'm starting to feel the sand between my toes again

11:11 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I hope to go to bristol soon for some serious flea market/ car boot action- will keep an eye open!!

xx

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home