Sunday, April 10, 2005

The Speakers - an extract

This is the words of MacGuinness, from The Speakers, his article is called Smokes Are Where I Find Them

In the nick I've smoked the fibre dust from my prison mattress. During the war I've smoked dried tea leaves and I once attempted to smoke turf. But how low can a man stoop? To the gutter! But to pick up dog-ends on a busy street without people knowing what you are doing is one of the lesser known arts. The man with the bowler hat would say,"I'd starve first." To this I would say, "You are not a real smoker, sir.'"


No matter how high in life you are at the moment, it's only your wage packet and your pride that keep you from the gutter. And it's so easy to get there. I was born in one; since then I've descended and arose from many, and I know that with a few bad breaks I may tomorrow in the coldness of an English dawn drone down London's Oxford Street on a wing and a prayer and divebomb for, perhaps, your castaway dog-end, sir. Or you for mine.

3 Comments:

Blogger KarbonKountyMoos said...

Aqualung my friend...

5:11 PM  
Blogger kingfelix said...

aqualung?? is this some reference to divebomb? i wonder... another mystery

5:25 PM  
Blogger anan said...

hint... Jethro Tull...

*watching the pretty panties run... ohhhhhhhh..... Aqualung....*

it's amazing how far back into childhood one can regurgitate media desensitizing

2:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home