Monday, May 09, 2005

David Foster DooDah

Heiko, yes! Heiko. In the depths of Europe, hear my call! Today we stopped at Borders and I bought David Foster Wallace's The Broom of the System, as you have mentioned this guy enough times. Now, despite the fact that he has committed two sins in a writer, so far as I am concerned:

1) Not Being Dead
2) Being self-consciously clever

But! I will try it and report.

Hey, for anyone interested in 45 minutes or so of fascinating reading, can I recommend the New Yorker article on the Ricky Jay website. Ricky Jay is one of my favorite people on the planet, one of the five or six best magicians with a pack of cards. You may also have seem him in some good movies, such as House of Games, and some crap movies, such as Heist and The Mystery Men!

Enjoy!

Lastly, to return to clever fellows, I received via ebay an excellent book today, William H Gass, The World Within the Word. This guy just has "the feel", you read one or two of his sentences and you just know that everything he has to say is going to be worth hearing. So it goes.

2 Comments:

Blogger L said...

I usually prefer my writers to be dead also...

8:55 PM  
Blogger HF said...

Oho! What great responsiblity on my shoulders but I will not twitch and keep to my word: this is recommendable reading material! The only thing to consider is that I am indeed writing not only from the depth of Europe but from the Hegel-pested realms of Germany, where contemporary literature is heavy, uncool and concerned with boring subjects (largely). So DFW was like a cool beer on a hot day when I encountered his stuff here. But do judge for yourself...

4:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home