Sunday, May 01, 2005

Homo Aquaticus

I wish Mr Caffrey, one of my first teachers, hadn't told us so much great stuff was coming in the next 20 years. He had us all completing projects where we lived in underwater cities, having sprouted gills and acquired flippers, with robots to do all the work, and planning lazy holidays on Jupiter.


To revisit those dreams, here's a picture of an underwater city, where, by God, I wish I was living. And as a follow-up, there's a site called RetroFuture which details all these dreams that failed to materialise.
*
Other news -> I slept through an earthquake that shook our building this morning. I guess I really was tired!

A light earthquake occurred at 7:37:32 AM (CDT) on Sunday, May 1, 2005 .
The magnitude 4.1 event occurred 6 km (4 miles) SSE of 01 Manila, AR.
The hypocentral depth is 10 km ( 6 miles).

5 Comments:

Blogger L said...

I am STILL waiting for my own personal housecleaning robot! And jetpacks! Scientists have really dropped the ball on this, I feel. The future just isn't what it used to be...

10:19 AM  
Blogger TOMAZI said...

I'm still optimistic about a late nuclear winter. What do other readers think? I saw the squirrels dance early this year and a bird hung by its beak from my finger. According to my old mum that's either a sure sign of a scorching summer or nuclear fallout permeating the upper atmosphere from tests at locations unknown.

5:36 AM  
Blogger kingfelix said...

relax, tony blair's mad nuclear power station building program will calm these concerns. think of me as a i fly my light aircraft into one of them.

8:42 AM  
Blogger TOMAZI said...

I've never understood the designation 'light'. In relation to what? A mountain? Wouldn't the lighter aircrafts of today be so much heavier than anything Mr Blurry-o flew? In which case, historically, the designation becomes even more confusing. I imagine that propulsion systems govern the whole sphere of aircraft weight; is it like boxing? Bantam weight gliders? And incidentally, there used to be a stoat-weight boxing class before Queensbury's intervention.

10:44 AM  
Blogger kingfelix said...

well, light aircraft refers to single pilot aircraft. i suppose, to be fair, given that the new airbus weighs 569 tons (or more than a million lbs), there may be justification for calling a cessna light.

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home