Friday, August 05, 2005

Nick Duerden - an outrage of a man

I happened to read this in today's Independent, a truly terrible article by Nick Duerden about his touring London's Starbucks for no real reason. Here is a sample of the appalling, sub-Terry Pratchett writing:

"Allotting several hours to recover in the peaceful haven of a nearby park, I browse some of the countless leaflets they insist on producing but that nobody, surely, actually reads."

and

"I learn how many calories exist within my latte (200), and I immerse myself in their Guide To Whole Bean Selections, which regales me with the news that many of its seasonal blends – from Africa, Asia, and Latin America – are Fair Trade and, consequently, Chris Martin-friendly."

You get the idea.

This prompted me to message the features editor at the Independent, to register my displeasure, thus:

this article was terrible, even leaving aside its frivolous subject matter; absolutely the worst written article i've ever read in the Independent. it even includes the word "regale". nick duerden needs to put away his PG Wodehouse and Terry Pratchett novels and learn how to compose a sentence without sounding like the prize idiot in the Student Union bar, the moron who finds it impossible to order a pint without saying such things as "Oyez! Humble innkeep. Pray, be so good as to fill a pair of foaming flagons with your heartiest ale, for verily, myself and my kin are parched, Sirrah!"

Jason Kennedy

***

OTHER NEWSSS

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4748063.stm - truly great. check out Bansky's website at http://www.banksy.co.uk

3 Comments:

Blogger L said...

Yeah! Only I'm allowed to write like that!

6:16 PM  
Blogger kingfelix said...

It's nothing to be proud of, my little coney-catcher. :)

6:20 PM  
Blogger Claypot said...

Hee hee! Loving that Letter to the Editor. Class.

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home