Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Film Review #4 - Gerry

Gerry is a 2002 film directed by Gus Van Sant. It stars Matt Damon and Ben Affleck's brother. I won't waste time being balanced - this film is lazy rich-boy boredom, with a soundtrack resembling a kitten walking up and down the keys, a script full of stream-of-rubbish gibberings, and an ending that belongs in those horror novels Stephen King was too fucked to remember writing.

A caveat is due here. I am not against art, I am not against ambition. I am prepared to read closed captions, I revere Fellini. So, ambition is fine, but ambition is not the only requirement for making a film, and a film with nothing happening won't fly when it draws on actors of such limited talent as Damon and Affleck.

To diminish the boredom, I made a temporary Gerry sandstorm costume and sat and watched while wearing it. Here is the photographic evidence.



2 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

If you thought THAT van Sant movie was a bore, try watching "End of Times." Holy shit ... I wanted to put a bullet in my own brain before that movie was over.

7:38 PM  
Blogger kingfelix said...

jim,
i can't find an imdb entry for End of Times. could it be Last Days??? i haven't seen it. it's intriguing how far a foreign name will take certain people in cinema. my own feeling is that gus van sant gives eyes and ears a bad name.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home