Monday, January 30, 2006

Goodbye!

This is the last Extreme Unction post. I am going to give myself over to the professional portion of my workaday existence and issue no more free words to the galaxy.

I know there are millions of idiots, but the few who have swarmed to the front of the cage to hurl monkey shit at me via this blog have depressed me still further. Leaving aside my dislike of the English middle classes and Hollywood movie stars, I feel that there has been little in the way of genuine disdain in Extreme Unction, and the attacks have been unwarranted. I have spoken out time and again in the defence of freedom of speech, against the tryannical actions of Bush and Blair, against the demonising of teenagers pushed to the edge by the hell of modern society, against the excessive and hypocritical rhetoric of Christian fundamentalists, etc, etc. For this I expected no medals.

To everyone who has come here and found something stimulating, I salute you. To those who have shown me ill will, know this, that you will be remembered only for your crimes.

Here is Alexander Pope to play us out...
Cease, then, nor order imperfection name:
Our proper bliss depends on what we blame.
Know thy own point: this kind, this due degree
Of blindness, weakness, Heaven bestows on thee.
Submit. In this, or any other sphere,
Secure to be as blest as thou canst bear:
Safe in the hand of one disposing Power,
Or in the natal, or the mortal hour.
All nature is but art, unknown to thee;
All chance, direction, which thou canst not see;
All discord, harmony not understood;
All partial evil, universal good:
And, spite of pride in erring reason's spite,
One truth is clear, whatever is, is right.
Goodbye!

3 Comments:

Anonymous AlanWilsonWatts said...

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

Goodbye.

1:05 PM  
Blogger KarbonKountyMoos said...

Waaaah - you're making me cry.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Holy shit, mate. This is a loss.

Poo-flinging monkeys are the denizens of the truthful. I welcome the poo. It validates me.

I do hope you'll reconsider. The left needs you.

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home